Monday, September 30, 2013

A Conversation with my Anxious self

One of the tools that I learned about when I was in Cognitive Behavior Therapy for my anxiety, is taking an irrational thought, and turning it to a more positive, rational thought.

99% of the time, it works. When it doesn't I'm already past the point of reasonable recovery for that event, and I have to ride it out.

Let's look at an example of one that I had today. This will only make sense if you know I've been sick for well over a month with an ear infection that traveled down into my lungs and became Bronchitis. Since I have asthma as well, this is a double doozy.

Me: Man, My lungs hurt.
My Head: They hurt because you are dying, man. You're suffocating. (In case anyone is wondering, THIS is the irrational thought)
Me: What? Really?
My Head: Yeah man. Seriously. You're gonna pass out and die!
Me: No, That can't be right. I'm not suffocating. (this is me starting to replace the negative, irrational thought)
My Head: YES, YOU ARE!
Me: Ok, Then why am I not dizzy?
My Head: Uhhh, I dunno, but I know you're suffocating
Me: No I'm not! Number one, I'm not Dizzy. number two, I've been sick, so hurting a little bit as I get better is normal. Number three, My fingernails and lips are not blue. (Public service announcement: If either of those happen to an asthmatic, they're in trouble. Get a breathing treatment, a rescue inhaler and then get them to the ER ASAP)
My Head: You sure you're not suffocating?
Me: Yeah. I'm sure. Shut up, please.
My Head: Ok. *hangs his head and walks away*

That, in essence is what I try to do every time I feel a twinge of anxiety. It's working for me, so I thought I'd pass it along.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for CBT working for you! That makes me super happy.

    ReplyDelete