Thursday, October 10, 2013

It's all about the experience

I was at the fair last week when my friends asked me if I regularly attended the fair when I was growing up. She was pretty shocked when i told her that this was only the third or fourth time in my life that I had been to a fair.

She asked why, and my explanation was probably not what she expected. No, it's not because large crowds make me nervous. No, it's not because I don't like the fair experience. It's plain and simple, I don't like doing things like that alone.

My family went maybe twice when I was growing up. both times it was insufferably crowded, hot and dusty. The rides were expensive, and I just didn't enjoy it at all.

She said her family went almost every year. I asked her why, and her answer kind of surprised me. She told me it was all about the experience. Watching the people, the sights, the sounds, the food, the getting away from it all. She also does not like the crowds, but she told me it's fun to watch people doing their thing.

After she said that, I took a look around in a new light. She's almost always right. Even when she's wrong, she's mostly right, and it is great to have another perspective. So, I'm trying to apply this to everything in my life. The Anxiety, The bad days, the good days and all the days in between. Sometimes it is far easier than others, but when you start something new, isn't that always the case?

No comments:

Post a Comment