Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Phone calls

I really dislike early morning Phone calls. Especially the ones that you don't really expect to get and like the one I got this morning. Here is roughly how it played out. I missed the initial call and was left a message.

Me: Hi. I got a message from you that I needed to call you about my Dad.
Gal on the other end: Yes, I'm with the caretaking company that goes and checks on your dad once a week.
Me: Yeah, Dad told me about that.
Gal on the other end: I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but when we went to check on your father this morning, we discovered that he has passed away.
Me: *silence*
Gal on the other end: Joseph? Are you ok?
Me: What?
Gal on the other end: Are you ok?
Me: Are you kidding me?
Gal on the other end: Honey, I'm sorry, but I'm not. Are you ok?
Me: uhhhh... yeah. I'm a little mad, but I'm ok.
Gal on the other end: I understand how you would be....

The Phone call I have been dreading most of my life... What a sucky way to start the day. I would however like to say to the gal on the other end of the line: Thank you for being so understanding during what was one of the most difficult moments of my life. Your calmness really set me at ease with what I need to get done.

For those that don't know much about my dad, here are some facts. He lives in Amarillo. He has been a diabetic for most of his life. He didn't really take care of himself. He passed away as a result of not taking care of himself. Yes, I'm really a little mad at him, but I'm happy he's not sick anymore and he's with his family again.

I spent two hours on the phone this morning calling family members and close friends. To those of you who I missed in the first wave, I am sorry. Someone in the family will be calling you with details shortly. If you read on, you'll know what I know.

I spent about three hours on the phone with various members of the Amarillo Police/Court Systems and various departments trying to track down where Dad is. It's a PAIN in the butt when they don't live in the same city as you, but that can't always be avoided.

What I know at this point:

There will not be an autopsy. The police discovered no signs of foul play and with the medical history I'm sure they will rule it either an accidental death or natural causes. I was under the impression that there would be due to someone discovering his body.

Dad would not want us to interrrupt our holidays any more than aboslutely necessary to get him taken care of. I have been sure of this fact since I first heard the news. The service will probably be sometime next week, possibly later to allow those who want to attend a memorial to come.

You now know as much as I do. Tomorrow I head to Amarillo with my Sister and brother in law to start the arraangement process and then I'm heading back to spend Christmas with my Family and friends.

On that note. I would like to thank some people up front for things they have already done for me. Dealing with a loss in the family is hard enough, but these people have really done more for me than I expect. I'm only going to list a couple, but you all know who you are.

Jan: Thanks for being a Boss that is concerned with my well being above and beyond what a "normal" boss would be. Your advice and experience has already benefitted me.

Darren: You've been my friend for nearly 20 years. Thanks for lending me your ears and giving me some time of normalcy and stuffing me with pizza for dinner.

To My Fish Tank Friend: You know who you are, but I'm not sure you read the blog, but anyway... Thanks for the Hot Chocolate and the hour and a half that you forbade me from picking up my phone, and simply being there. It did a lot to restore what little sanity I had left for today.

To all my other friends, I love you all and I am grateful for having you in my life.

Expect more details in the coming days and also more blog updates. I think this is going to be an outlet that will do me a lot of good. Now in the interest in what little bit of normalcy I have had today, I'm off to bed. I've got a big day ahead of me tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment